Friday, May 29, 2020

Lost Art of Mailing Stuff

I'm blogging about what I know or want to know better and the thought I want to cover today is letters, or more broadly, sending stuff through the mail. 

With this pandemic, I've not been able to see friends in person for quite some time, and to deal with this situation, I've taken to sending postcards. 

That motion alone has caused me to contemplate what in general I can send.  So I packed up some art and did up a card for my MIL and now that sits in the mailbox waiting for pickup. 

I only started last week, but I want to keep going. There's something special about getting something in the mail. It's a mental checklist of, "Yes, I connected with someone in a weird and obscure way".

It does get me thinking, though. How can I expand sending postcards to people I know, to maybe sending small random items, or getting signed up on some anonymous penpal site? 

Posting items in the mail use to be of the past, at least for me. As I get back into it, I realize that people send me stuff not for me, but for themselves. Sometimes we enjoy getting a surprise in the mail, and other times we enjoy sending stuff. 

I've started a mental checklist of who I can send stuff to, when I can send it, and perhaps for an occasion, I am sending items. I already know of several birthdays this month I need to start prepping for. And items must be small. It can't be big because cost-wise it becomes cumbersome. So small - which most of my art is. 

And so it goes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment